For Immediate Release
Wednesday, May 29, 2019
Contact: Benjamin Paulin
Bridgewater Police Investigating Statement Allegedly Made at Bridgewater-Raynham Regional High School
No Credible Threat Found, School Day Resumes Normal Operations
BRIDGEWATER — Chief Christopher Delmonte and Superintendent Derek Swenson report that the Bridgewater Police Department is investigating after two teachers overheard what they thought was a student making a mention of a gun in a hallway of the Bridgewater-Raynham Regional High School Wednesday morning.
At this time there is no credible threat and school is currently operating on its normal schedule.
At approximately 8:15 a.m., Bridgewater Police responded to the high school to support the department’s School Resource Officer after receiving a 911 call reporting that there were students evacuating the school. Around the same time, police learned that the fire alarm had been pulled inside of the school.
Upon arrival, officers made sure that the school was fully evacuated and secured and they began their investigation. Out of an abundance of caution, two K9 officers responded to the scene and searched the building. No weapons or dangerous items were located in the search.
A phone message was sent to all parents district-wide notifying them of the situation.
After it was determined that there was no credible threat, students and staff were allowed back inside of the school at approximately 9 a.m.
“At this point we do not know exactly what was said or who may have said it and that remains under investigation,” Chief Delmonte said. “After a thorough search of the school we determined there was no threat. However, our School Resource Officer will remain onsite working with school officials for whatever they may need.”
The high school will continue on with the school day in its normal operations and school resource staff will be made available to students who wish to speak with someone about the incident.
To avoid further disruption to the school day, parents are asked not to dismiss their children from school unless absolutely necessary. As always, the school district and police department remain committed to relaying information as timely and as accurately as possible to parents when the information is available.
“We are thankful to our partners at the police department for their quick response and professionalism,” Superintendent Swenson said. “Student safety is our number one priority and as always, our district is constantly reviewing our safety protocols and procedures and we will continue to do so following this incident.”